Wednesday, October 27, 2010

MEDIA MEDITATION NUMÉRO TROIS: Rickles Roast with a Side of Zombies?


Don Rickles roasts Dean Martin on his own show.


Midway through the summer, I discovered this gem on youtube -- among others -- and found myself laughing.  I don't recognize some of the celebrities brought up by Rickles, but the way he delivers his jokes is hilarious.  He never breaks eye contact, he lets it stream out naturally, and he doesn't degenerate into strings of curse words.  Rickles is also very animated; he doesn't remain static and read off of a cheat sheet, he uses the stage to his advantage and isn't afraid to let it all out.  He perfects his EMOTIONAL TRANSFER to the audience.  And his PACING is flawless.  Rickles manages to tickle my LIMBIC BRAIN in 6 minutes; something most comedians today can't do in an hour.  Now, I'm not saying all of today's comedians are bad... just that most of them lack the natural ability Don Rickles possesses -- the ability to deliver a joke with such surgical precision.  Of course, this is just me sucking up to a comedian who's pushing 85.  


---

IGN's Video Review of Left 4 Dead 2.


HUMANS VS ZOMBIES, CHAMPLAIN


Because of the "Humans vs. Zombies" game currently going on campus, I figured I'd make an honorable mention to the genre of horror that has persisted since the popular inception of George A. Romero's 1968 hit: Night of the Living Dead.  The video above is a Video Game review of Valve's sequal to their Co-Op hit, Left 4 Dead -- aptly titled, Left 4 Dead 2.  Both games were on sale for about 7 dollars each, a few weeks ago, on Valve's special media platform, and a great example of CONVERGENT MEDIA, "Steam".  Steam is not only digital distribution software (aka, buying and downloading video games), but it also operates as a multiplayer and communications platform.  Unlike retail outlets, Steam also hosts special deals for certain video games; taking percentages off for limited times (such as the Left 4 Dead 66% off sale).  


I don't considder myself an avid gamer, but the zombie genre of horror has always been a favorite of mine; and a video game based upon said genre is right up my alley.  I'm not going to buy every game that has a zombie in it, however -- the game has to be good; other people need to reccommend it.  So when my roommate from last year, who barely plays video games, praised it, I felt the need to pick it up (of course, I ended up waiting a year to get it... money's tight during college!).  Surprisingly, it was really fun.  Being a zombie game, it obviously works on the reptilian brain, but moreso this game likes to squeeze your reptilian brain for every juice of fight or flight its got.  The zombies attack in mobs, there are "special" zombies that can have special abilities ranging from a "Hunter" who will jump great distances and pounce on you, to the "Tank" who can sustain a lot of gunshots and pummel you to death... did I mention it can grab chunks of pavement and throw it at you? This specific "Special Zombie" even gets his own theme song that creeps in with its glutteral roar -- as if its size, speed, and durability wasn't enough to stimulate the Reptilian brain.  


Photobucket

Not someone you'd want to be cornered by...


Now, I don't remember how the rules of the "H.v.Z" game go (I played once last semester) but it is the equivilant to a week-long game of nerf tag.  One "Original Zombie" or "O.Z" is chosen from a group of those willing, and every person he tags becomes a zombie.  To distinguish zombies from humans, Humans must wear a bandana on their arm, leg, or anywhere visible (EXCEPT THE HEAD) -- Zombies wear bandanas on their heads.  Throughout the course of the week, there are missions that humans can complete for points -- which risks them getting infected.  To combat the undead, Humans use nerf guns and socks to temporarily knock out their opponent.  To keep the game from interfering with classes, the insides of buildings are safe zones -- meaning zombies can't infect humans inside.  Despite seeming pretty nerdy as someone outside looking in, the game is surprisingly very fun and challenging; requiring both organization and physical fitness to survive.  

I didn't sign up this year because I'm more worried about passing my classes... but I might sign up next semester!

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,

    This is excellent - Rickles and Zombies - how random, and brilliant, and funny, and insightful.

    Wow.

    I am applauding.

    Go get 14 more followers, yes? Hurry.

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete