Sunday, October 17, 2010

MIDTERM REFLECTIONS: Where Has Time Gone?

After studying 21st century media for eight weeks in this class, what have you learned?


I've learned to look at media (music videos, television, movies, adverts, etc.) with a tad more scrutiny; how they manipulate viewers by playing off the triune brain (Fight or Flight and Mating with the reptilian brain, for example) and the devilishly clever persuasive techniques they use against us.  Even "The Disposible Heroes of Hiphocracy" conveyed their message of the evil of television through the same manipulative means (and the same outlet).  


What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself as a critical readers, a writer, and a thinker in this class so far?


As a reader, I find that I'm easily drawn into literatures with creatively dark covers.  It also seems that even though I try not to interpret something the same way others would, I end up failing.  As a writer I, sadly, end up conforming and using the same manipulative techniques as the media outlets I criticise.  As a thinker, I am slow but eager to learn more about the media machine.


What's one thing you would do differently this first half of the semester if your were to take this class again?


Without a doubt, I would study a lot more -- be better prepared to spank those quizzes.


What's one thing you would like me to do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?


I think it would be awesome to watch The Matrix during class :D (otherwise, you're doing great!)


Please comment on the usefulness of the power tools, our course blog, your personal blog, our in-class quizzes, our films, and our books as learning tools.


The power tools are great references for tests and identifying the techniques used by the media to brainwash us.  The class blog is huge on the homework front, plus it gives me an incentive to read the book.  The personal blog, although I don't use mine often, allows me some hands-on experience with media related topics.  The movies we watch are great resources for tests and studying.  The books are interesting in the fact we get some historical background to what we're doing.  The quizzes are helpful in the sense that they train my mind to learn the persuasive techniques better.

1 comment:

  1. Useful midterm reflections here, Jeff.

    Why not blog about THE MATRIX for a media meditation? The film has been out 11 years now - I am curious to hear what your think.

    Bravo,

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete